Saturday, August 07, 2010

West Fargo, North Dakota

This morning we left Moorhead KOA and headed in to town to get a haircut. We stopped at Great Clips, where we parked for about an hour while I got the haircut, we did some grocery shopping and got some wine. We had arranged to stay the night at Debbie Atkins-Schons house in West Fargo because I refused to stay any longer at the KOA. So we found her house very easily and disconnected the car and reversed onto the driveway. It was so hot and humid with the temp sitting at about 37C (100F). Lovely to be in the air conditioned comfort of her house.

Many years ago, back in Yellowwood Park, Natal, South Africa I had given Debbie and her brother, Wade, swimming lessons and had become quite friendly with her mom as well. Wade was very friendly with my son as they were in the same class at school. Then in about 1984, Debbie's father had got  a job in North Dakota. The family left and we lost contact. Many years later, when we had immigrated to Canada, I found Pam Atkins phone number and called her. We had a lovely chat and updated each other on our families. We lost contact again. Forward to about 2008 or 2009 and through Facebook, I find Debbie, who informed me that her brother Wade, and her mother, Pam, had both died tragically. What a shock that was to me! To add to the tragedy, her father Steve was battling cancer. I vowed then and there that one day I would get to North Dakota to see Debbie. When the opportunity came to travel through Fargo on our way to Winkler, Manitoba, I jumped at the idea of adding a visit to Debbie. Now here we were, staying with her and meeting her 2 lovely children. It was a very special night. Laughing, crying, reminiscing and consoling. We all went out to dinner at Applebee's which was great! Debbie was even gracious enough to give up her bed for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment